Some English classes are using They Say I Say, With Readings, 2nd edition from 2012. We have one copy on reserve, and it's a popular item. We have two reserve copies of the 1st edition from 2008.
Don't hate me, but I've told several circulation students and staff that if a student needs an essay from the 2nd edition that isn't in the 1st edition, and the 2nd edition isn't available, the reference librarians will help the student try to locate the essay online or in another book in the library. I successfully did this twice in the last 30 minutes.
First you have to know the complete essay title and author, so I'm posting the TOC below. I included links to the three essays I've located. If I get around to it, I'll update this as I locate other essays. Now that I went to all this trouble, no one will ever ask this question again, but that's the way it goes!
They Say I Say, With Readings 2nd edition (2012)
PART 5 - READINGS
14. IS HIGHER EDUCATION WORTH THE PRICE?
· ANDREW HACKER AND CLAUDIA DREIFUS, Are Colleges Worth the Price of Admission?
· SANFORD J. UNGAR, The New Liberal Arts
· DAVID FOSTER WALLACE, Kenyon Commencement Speech
· LIZ ADDISON, Two Years Are Better Than Four
· KEVIN CAREY, Why Do You Think They're Called For-Profit Colleges?
· CHARLES MURRAY, Are Too Many People Going to College?
· MIKE ROSE, Blue-Collar Brilliance
· ROBIN WILSON, A Lifetime of Student Debt? Not Likely
15. IS POP CULTURE ACTUALLY GOOD FOR YOU?
· STEVEN JOHNSON, Watching TV Makes You Smarter
· DANA STEVENS, Thinking Outside the Idiot Box
· ANTONIA PEACOCKE, Family Guy and Freud
· MALCOLM GLADWELL, Small Change: Why the Revolution Will Not Be Tweeted
· DENNIS BARON, Reforming Egypt in 140 Characters?
· DAVID CRYSTAL, 2B or Not 2B?
· ROZ CHAST, The I.M.s of Romeo and Juliet
· TOM BISSELL, Extra Lives: Why Video Games Matter
· JASON ZINSER, The Good, the Bad, and The Daily Show
· GERALD GRAFF, Hidden Intellectualism
16. IS FAST FOOD THE NEW TOBACCO?
· DAVID ZINCZENKO, Don't Blame the Eater
· RADLEY BALKO, What You Eat Is Your Business
· JUDITH WARNER, Junking Junk Food
· WIL HAYGOOD, Kentucky Town of Manchester Illustrates National Obesity Crisis
· MICHELLE OBAMA, Remarks to the NAACP National Convention
· MICHAEL POLLAN, Escape from the Western Diet in Pollan’s In Defense of Food
· MARY MAXFIELD, Food as Thought: Resisting the Moralization of Eating
· SUSIE ORBACH, Fat Is a Feminist Issue probably in Orbach’s Fat Is a Feminist Issue, but I don’t know what pages of the book correspond.
· CARRIE PACKWOOD FREEMAN AND DEBRA MERSKIN, Having It His Way: The Construction of Masculinity in Fast-Food TV Advertising
17. WHY DOES IT MATTER WHO WINS THE BIG GAME?
· MAYA ANGELOU, Champion of the World
· WILFRID SHEED, Why Sports Matter
· MICHAEL KIMMELMAN, Women Who Hit Very Hard and How They've Changed Tennis
· JENNIE YABROFF, In Defense of Cheering
· FELISA ROGERS, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Football
· SARA MARATTA, Move Over Boys, Make Room in the Crease
· WILLIAM MOLLER, We, the Public, Place the Best Athletes on Pedestals
· JOE POSNANSKI, Cheating and CHEATING
18. WHAT'S UP WITH THE AMERICAN DREAM?
· BOB HERBERT, Hiding from Reality
· CAL THOMAS, Is the American Dream Over?
· BRANDON KING, American Dream: Dead, Alive, or on Hold?
· ROBERT H. FRANK, Income Inequality: Too Big to Ignore http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/business/17view.html
· PAUL KRUGMAN, Confronting Inequality
· KAREN OLSSON, Up Against Wal-Mart
· SEBASTIAN MALLABY, Progressive Wal-Mart. Really.
· CONSTANCE M. RUZICH AND A. J. GRANT, Predatory Lending and the Devouring of the American Dream
· BARACK OBAMA, A More Perfect Union