Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Instant Messaging Tip

I spent several minutes chatting with a frustrated student today who was having trouble opening an e-reserve file. I finally realized the student is in the RODP program and was stopped at the ezproxy screen.

So, just a reminder about the possibility that you're chatting with an RODP student who is off campus and not familiar with that mode of access to our materials.

Also, we spent several minutes hung up on the fact that I asked if the student was "in the library" and he or she said "yes." Yes, he was in the virtual RODP library, so to speak, but not physically in the MTSU library, which is what I wanted to know. So, when you ask a question, be specific!

Kristen

3 comments:

  1. BTW, a huge thanks to everyone who is monitoring chat reference in your office. I think it will really help the mid-day reference desk staffers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, just tell me when I need to turn chat on in my office. ~Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any time that you can turn chat on in your office, it will be helpful. I pretty much keep Pidgin turned on all the time, and if I get busy or have to leave, I set my status to Away. That keeps the messages from popping up.

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete