Many thanks to all who were involved in the discussions and implementation of the federated search option that is now available under the article search tab on the Library's home page. In hindsight, I recognize now that it would have been prudent for me to suggest we test this out before I asked Bako to make it go live. However, (and unfortunately), I am showcasing my ignorance with the complexities of this, but I really had no idea that there were so many options available to us for customizing how we want this to search our EBSCO databases. :-)
Please check out this link to see the myriad options we have:
http://supportforms.epnet.com/eit/searchboxbuilder/
Also, please have a look at the article search tab and let me know what you think and any suggestions you have. I will compile them into a list and share with everyone. I know we are all slammed, but if you could let me know your suggestions just as soon as you can, I would be most appreciative.
Thanks....
C
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The search currently on the Article Search tab is limited to full-text, references available, and scholarly publications. I think the latter two are not necessary. I tend to think the full-text limit is also not necessary, but I am interested to see what others think.
ReplyDeleteIf we're going to use the Ebsco search, we might as well have it search all the available Ebsco databases, which I think is what has been done.
I agree with using Boolean searching, which is what I think has been done.
If a small EBSCO Icon will fit in the tab, I would include that, along with a link to a list of what databases are included in the search.
I retract my comment about searching all databases. If we include databases with limited user seats, users of the article search tab are likely to encounter error messages such as this:
ReplyDeleteYour site has reached its maximum license of simultaneous users for Mental Measurements Yearbook, RILM Abstracts of Music Literature, Tests in Print
This discussion is perhaps related to the earlier request for opinions about the EBSCO Power Search: http://mtsurefstaff.blogspot.com/2009/08/ebsco-multi-database-search.html
ReplyDeleteNever could recreate the error message I mentioned above. I think in subsequent searches, EBSCO just went ahead without using those databases in the search.
ReplyDelete